My PLN Plan: Senior Year
Sport Psychology is an up and coming field of its own and the best way to connect with others in my field is through conferences, journals, and social media such as Twitter. There are many tools that are useful when learning more about sport psychology such as different magazines such as Psychology Today and studies that are constantly being shared with the world in a variety of journals. Other tools right here at Plymouth State is our library database which has a wealth of information. I feel as though LinkedIn would be a great way to connect with scholars and professors within my field. As part of my PLN I want to research more about how a LinkedIn works and what is the best way to connect with scholars. I think creating blog posts on my ePort is a great way to convey my ideas and thoughts regarding my field. This ePort can be used as a launchpad for discussion and hopefully increase my knowledge. While I am still young in my field I hope to learn from the experiences of others using my ePort. I want to encourage conversation amongst scholars and other young professionals, however, while I am still researching in my field I want to remain semi-private in my own thoughts. I am hoping that I will learn lots from others during this stage in my career and develop more comprehensive thoughts before being largely public. At least once a week I hope to be active on Twitter sharing ePort posts as well as other scholarly writings. I will be able to evaluate my PLN based on the discussions created from my posts as well as how many scholars, professors, and other young professionals I am able to engage with.
5 Possible Article Topics
- I am working on the topic of concussions because I want to find out the impact on athletes in order to help my reader understand better treatment and rehabilitation.
- This is interesting as athletes often don’t think about side effects in the classroom and daily life. This topic targets the disciplines of neuroscience, psychology, and exercise science.
- I am working on the topic of daily exercise because I want to find out about the benefits in order to help my reader understand better mental health benefits.
- I am interested in seeing how daily exercise helps one’s mental health. This involves psychology, as well as exercise science, and sociology.
- I am working on the topic of higher education and exercise because I want to find out how college students benefit from exercise in order to help my reader understand better ways to help students.
- I think this is important as this population is often overlooked regarding health studies. This incorporates psychology, higher education, and exercise science.
- I am working on the topic of injury rehabilitation because I want to find out how it effects the brain in order to help my reader understand better the best course of treatment both mentally and physically.
- I think the connection between physical and mental injury is very interesting and important to my field. This involves the disciplines of exercise science, psychology, and athletic training.
- I am working on the topic of veterans care because I want to find out how PTSD and other mental illnesses effect veterans in order to help my reader understand better ways for caring and treating.
- I think veteran care is so important, but there is no real solution yet. This involves psychology, history, sociology, and exercise rehabilitation.
5 Possible Applied Project Ideas
- Post-Concussion Side Effects in Athletics
- I am interested in exploring this topic and how athletes are affected in their daily life from concussions. The idea of how the brain is affecting performance is often explored while classrooms effects are often forgotten.
- Exercise Amongst College Students
- I am interested in exploring how students get daily exercise as college students. I think it is important to promote health even during a busy time of life.
- Mental Illness Amongst Veterans
- I am interested in exploring the after care of veterans. Mental Illness is a major issue faced and am interested in being part of the solution.
- Healthy Habits Amongst College Students
- I am interested in studying the health habits of college students and how those affect daily life. I am also interested in seeing if unhealthy habits have the ability to change.
- Mental Health Amongst Athletes
- I am interested in studying the mental health of athletes and the rate of certain illnesses such as disordered eating and anxiety. With pressure of performance comes a lot of internal pressures and I am interested in studying this correlation.